Wednesday, May 28, 2008

4. Work of Art

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This is an abstract painting created by Willem DeKooning. He is an artist that is closely related to the New York School Poets. At fist glance the painting looks like it is utter chaos with colors and various images splattered all over the place. As look closer I see a repetition of colors, that form a room of some sort with various objects that I am uncertain of beginning to pop out. The one thing that stands out to me the most is the bubblegum pink, what I think is a chair. Besides the blues, greens and yellows it is the only pink used in the painting. Another thing that stands out is the skull on the floor, because it is the most clear and focused image in the painting. In the back of the room there seems to he a door only slightly opened and on the wall there is a ladder leading to a window. It looks like there are tacks in places that are supposed to be holding up things but I can’t distinguish objects from the paint that may be on the wall. It is puzzling me as to why there would be a ladder up to a window, when the door is open. Was it supposed to be used as an exit. Could it possibly be there to show the illogical way of thinking by a window as an exit instead of an open door. I feel like I can see faces but I can’t be sure because there is so much going on that it could just be stray marks. This painting has many ideas going on, but held to together by repetition on color.

When looking at the abstract painting I am able to see the influence that it had on the poetry of the school. The painting seems to be random and completely done with no boundaries, just as how the poets created there poems. The same colors are reused again and again, as how one main idea is followed through out the whole poem. Just as the poetry was based in New York city and seemed to have a feel of chaos, with so much going on. The painting looks the same with many things happening at once.

No comments: